Numerical Recipes Forum  

Go Back   Numerical Recipes Forum > Obsolete Editions Forum > General Problems in Using NR

Old 11-09-2002, 01:33 PM

Post Images in .pdf files wouldn't print!

I have a problem, which is that printed .pdf files do not contain some pictures, for example pictures 13.10.4 and the next one (in Wavelet Transforms chapter). I am positive, that this happened to me before (I think in the chapter dealing with SVD). I use a PostScript printer ...

Can somebody exaplain me what am I doing wrong or ... should I really purhace the book?

Thanks for answering,
Old 11-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Numerical Recipes Author

Bilbo,

I think you are referring to figures in the wavelet section of the free books-on-line downloads.

Yes, there are a small number of pictures in that section that are not included in either the PDF or Postscript download files. That is because these pictures were originally generated with software that was incompatible with any modern image format, and the output files were later lost.

If any reader would like to re-generate those figures as Encapsulated Postscript (EPS) files, we might be able to include them in the downloads. (You can get the 256x256 image of the woman's face using the links at the bottom of the page at
http://www.nr.com/public-domain.html ).

Cheers,
Bill P.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:08 PM

Piece of cake: Just had to load the raw file in PaintShop Pro and save it as EPS.

Mircea
Attached Files
File Type: zip image-face.zip (52.7 KB, 1349 views)
Old 01-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Numerical Recipes Author

Mircea,

The problem is not so much the original picture, but the wavelet-filtered pictures. To reproduce those, you'll need to run the original image through the wavelet filtering process described in the book. That actually takes a bit of programming.

Cheers,
Bill Press
Old 01-17-2003, 06:03 PM

Smile

Oops, I should have looked at the page in NR book before posting. But if I got started, it seemed like an interesting subject to test my brand new version of Mathcad (ver 11). The end result is in a zip file that can be downloaded from http://www.geocities.com/neacsum/nrpics/wavelet.zip

It contains wavelet-filtered images at 77% and 93.5% as well as Fourier-filtered at the same thresholds. Also included is the Mathcad file used to generate these files.

By the way this is a NR application as Mathcad's wavelet transform function cites NR as reference for the algorithm (it's a Daubechies-4 filter)

Mircea